Dedicated Family Law Attorneys Serve Middletown, Ohio
Understanding counsel for divorce and a wide variety of family issues
When an urgent family problem requires a legal resolution, it’s important to select a knowledgeable attorney you can trust to manage your case with care. The attorneys at Combs, Schaefer, Ball & Little have more than 30 years of combined experience helping Ohioans with family law issues. Our practice has grown largely due to our genuine concern for each client we serve. When you come to us for divorce or another family law issue, you get our undivided attention and our full commitment to work for a favorable result.
Dissolution versus divorce in Ohio
In Ohio, a marital dissolution differs from a divorce, because dissolution is a nonadversarial process to end your marital relationship. In that way, dissolution is similar to a no-fault or uncontested divorce available in other jurisdictions. The parties mutually agree to terminate their marriage, and neither party has to assert or prove grounds. This action starts after the spouses sign a separation agreement regarding all property, spousal support and child-related issues. If the court is satisfied that the agreement is fair, the court grants the dissolution, so the separation agreement and/or shared parenting plan go into effect.
Comprehensive divorce representation in Middletown
If you must dissolve your marriage through an adversarial process, our family law attorneys can manage your divorce, providing reliable advice and determined representation for all of your ancillary issues, including:
- Alimony — Under Ohio law, either spouse can ask the court to order alimony.
- Child custody — We assert your parental rights in child custody disputes during and after divorce.
- Child support — Our family law attorneys advocate for fair child support orders based on your true financial circumstances and represent parents in hearings to modify support orders.
- Division of property — Ohio is an equitable distribution state, which means the court divides marital assets and debts in a manner that is fair, but not necessarily equal. We work diligently to protect your property rights.
Our Middletown family law attorneys give you close, personal attention from the beginning of the process to the issuance of your divorce decree and remain available when any post-divorce issues arise.
Other common family law issues in Middletown, Ohio
Family law covers numerous issues besides divorce. In our Middletown law practice, we are often asked to assist with:
- Adoption — When it is time to welcome a child into your home, we help ensure your adoption is valid so your parental rights can survive any legal challenge. We assist with open adoptions, agency adoptions, foster care adoptions, and stepparent and grandparent adoptions.
- Prenuptial agreements — Marital agreements made before the wedding protect each spouse’s property rights in the event of divorce. You can also negotiate alimony and child custody in these agreements. However, the domestic relations division of a common pleas court will only enforce your prenuptial agreement if, prior to signing, there was full and accurate financial disclosure. The court can also invalidate a prenup for fraud, misrepresentation, undue influence, duress, or terms that are either contrary to law or sound public policy. We help parties negotiate fair prenups that stand up to court scrutiny. Our experienced lawyers can help you identify what concerns you want to address and will draft a prenuptial agreement that reflects your choices and protects your interests.
- Name changes — We can help you effect a name change legally in compliance with applicable Ohio statutes.
We also assist with post-divorce modification and enforcement issues.
Contact a capable and concerned family law attorney in Middletown, OH
At Combs, Schaefer, Ball & Little, our family law attorneys care deeply about the outcome of each case we undertake. For dedicated divorce representation or assistance with any other issue, call us at 513-393-8872 or contact our Middletown office online. We offer free consultations to new clients.